MEDIA CENTER STUDENT CENTER
MEETING CALLED BY GSO
TYPE OF MEETING Monthly
FACILITATOR Derek Musashe
NOTE TAKER Cristina Butterfield
TIMEKEEPER Cristina Butterfield
ATTENDEES Will, Cristina, Derek, James, Molly, Zephy, Kris Cox (PA), Anita
10 MIN STUDENT CENTER HEATHER ENNIS
DISCUSSION Refinishing floors in gym. closed from 17th to 26th.
Closed Dec 24, 25, 31, Jan 1
Assisted Therapy dog, Zip, will be in this week. 11:30-1:30 this Friday and every other Friday of the new year.
CONCLUSIONS Jan 10th Blazer game and beer. (projector has been broken that’s why there was no movie night)
Laser tag mid Jan in gym. 3 on 3 basketball tourney in Jan. intra
10 MIN RESEARCH WEEK 2013 KELLY
DISCUSSION Student day to keep presence of SRF-workshops, coffee break, student only presentations and mixer-drinks and raffle
Steering committee really liked it.
Need volunteers for week. Kelly wants to host lunch to advertise for these. Food will be Indian. budget proposal for $250. Early Jan conference next to mac hall
CONCLUSIONS Derek motion. Will second. passed
5 MIN GRAD COUNCIL RICK GORANFLO
DISCUSSION Rick Goranflo went. Talked about certificates (200-300 students) rolled into grad studies. Do they pay GSO budget? Does that make sense. A few of the masters do. Distance students in these cert programs.
Can we have people hear pay in. Most agree that these should not pay in to GSO because they don’t necessarily even know events are going on.
10 MIN BUDGET AND TRAVEL AWARD RICK, JAMES, KELLY
DISCUSSION $11k now.
5k all hill council Refund will happen every year.
Travel award with refund- using PSU template. 10 $500 awards. One time only. reimburse after awarded. Need Fryer’s input. Need based. Deadline for each term. Logistically- must be reimbursements, $400 scholarships?, application process, have a committee, have same standards, have a grad representatives, masters, phd, faculty?, GSO meeting attendance to get award?,
CONCLUSIONS 38 PA students. some go to national conference. don’t have mentors. need travel money. Derek doesn’t want PA to compete with rest of grad students
Vote allocation ($4000 to be on safe side) of student council refund towards. Kelly motion, zephy second. unanimous.
Allison Fryer will be asked to help come up with committee recommendations. Probably about than 5 people.
5 MIN WOMEN IN SCIENCE LILLY
DISCUSSION Ideas for events- not only for women: negotiation workshop invite UP business for salary.
Networking happy hour drinks, food, speaker. Want money asking in Jan maybe around $1000 for big event. Do not have account with OHSU.
Next happy hour and brown bag (management styles) is in January. Men are invited.
10 MIN GSO SKI TRIP ANITA
DISCUSSION Kelly will make and send in color flyers. Derek will send out email. All-hill is still the same as a retreat weekend.
$110 4 nights Pres day 2/14-2/18 deadline is about a month before. Anita is organizing again.