Tuesday, May 19, 2015

GSO meeting MAY2015

Graduate Student Organization Meeting Minutes
May13, 2015
12pm, BRB381
1.     Graduate Steering Committee Student Representative       Alison Fryer (assistant dean of grad studies)
a.     Proposed description of the responsibilities and duties: represent students on the Graduate Steering Committee. This is the creative arm of Graduate Council and meets every other week on Tuesday at 1:45-2:45pm. Past representatives are Alison Stickles and Danielle Robinson
b.     Alison also wants to improve communication between her and the graduate student body
                                          i.    If you have ideas on how to do this please contact GSO or Alison directly
2.     Financial/Insurance Update    Rick Goranflo
a.     New insurance provider as of Sept 1, 2015: Pacific Source
                                          i.    Similar coverage to Aetna
b.     Dependent insurance continued for next year, but with some differences
                                          i.    All dependents will be charged the same as individuals, so price will depend on the number/kind of dependents
                                         ii.    Payments to cover dependents will have to be paid QUARTERLY instead of monthly, reimbursement available from deans office
c.     SOM is hiring a healthcare counselor full time to advise students on how to get coverage, starts Aug 2015
d.     Information released in a couple weeks with all the details
e.     Questions? Contact Rick Goranflo: goranflr@ohsu.edu
3.     Budget Update   Rick Goranflo
a.     We are on track with the budget, we use all our money, but don’t go over
4.     All Hill Update                Kayly
a.     Gala was a success: 10% of those that RSVP’d were Grad Students (22ppl)
b.     All-Hill had elections: New president
c.     Spring edition of the Pulse was released
5.     Spring BBQ        Kelly
a.     Location issues because of construction in the MAC Hall courtyard
b.     will be on the SON lawn with lots of signage to guide people over there
c.     Friday, June 12
d.     Will need lots of volunteers!!
6.     Setting up a GSO archive in the OHSU archives     Kayly
a.     Max Johnson in the OHSU Archives, would be great to start a permanent GSO archive where we can archive our fliers, photos from our events, meeting notes. the benefit of this is adding a legacy for future councils to which they can refer, and also establishing a graduate student legacy and record. They already have a huge archive for medical students but not one for grad students.
7.     Research Week debrief               Kayly
a.     Some students didn’t have their posters judged on student day
b.     Poster categories need to be better, some students found themselves in a sea of clinical posters
c.     GSO is looking for Keynote speaker ideas for next year, contact GSO
8.     Library/ Professional Development Center            Jackie Wirz
a.     CLSB study room hours extended
b.     Big Data class being offered this summer
                                          i.    1 week, 2nd week of June
                                         ii.    Contact Jackie to register or for more info: wirzj@ohsu.edu
c.     Business/ Technology interest group starting fall 2015
                                          i.    Networking and info opportunities
d.     Peer Mentoring group starting
                                          i.    Professional development from your peers
                                         ii.    Independent of program
                                        iii.    Contact Jackie
e.     What do people need? Any specific journals you wish we had access to?
                                          i.    Endnote will be offered FREE to students next year
9.     Officers for next year: Nominations          Kelly/Kayly/Lilli
a.     Secretary: Courtney Betts, 4th year, CDB
b.     Treasurer: Shannon Liudahl, 3rd year, CANB
c.     Research Week Student Chair as a GSO liaison to be added to the bylaws.
                                          i.    Proposed description of the responsibilities and duties: The duties of the Research Week Student Chair shall be to represent and champion graduate student interests on the Research Week planning committee, especially as it pertains to planning and organizing Student Day. In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the Student Chair shall assemble a representative body of graduate students who shall comprise the Student Day Sub-committee. These individuals shall aid the Student Chair in the execution of her or his duties. The Student Chair shall be instated by the GSO officers in June of each year and shall help in the transition of his or her successor. 
d.     VOTE NEXT MONTH ON ALL OFFICER POSITIONS
10.  Next month                    Kelly/ Kayly
a.     vote on the budget
b.     Vote on Officers
11.  Upcoming events           Lilli
a.     Coffee Break NEXT Thursday

b.     Spring BBQ –Will need volunteers

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

April 2015 GSO Meeting Minutes

Graduate Student Organization Meeting Minutes
April 1, 2015
12pm, BRB381

1.     Women in Science
a.     May 13, 5-8:30pm: OMSI co-sponsored semi-annual faculty and student happy hour mixer at OMSI
                                          i.    See WIS facebook page for more information
2.     Research Week- http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/research/research-week/
a.     It is one month away!
b.    We had approximately 200 abstract submissions at last count
c.     Student Day is May 4. (Rough schedule)
                                          i.    10am GSO hosted Coffee and light breakfast
                                         ii.    1030am CorExtravaganza, followed by lunch,
                                        iii.    1pm Jackie Wirz: Professional Development Center Resources
                                        iv.     followed by poster sessions
                                         v.    4pm Keynote: Chuan He, Ph.D. "Reversible RNA and DNA methylation in gene expression regulation"
                                        vi.    5pm reception
d.    Tuesday May 5: faculty lightning rounds
e.     Wednesday May 6: 3 Minute Thesis Competition
                                          i.    Register by April 27
                                         ii.    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X85GGKV
f.     Thursday May 7: mock study section with audience participation.
g.    Student Day Keynote speakers for next year – any suggestions?
                                          i.    Email Kayly Lembke or somgso@ohsu.edu with suggestions
h.     Beautiful and Ugly data competitions with prizes
i.      Professional Development Center is sponsoring workshops
                                          i.    Data visualization: Be a visual ninja—Tuesday, April 7, 12-1pm MAC1162
                                         ii.    How to make a poster that doesn’t suck—Thursday, April 9, 12-1pm OHSU 8th floor auditorium
                                        iii.    Email Jackie Wirz with questions

3.     All Hill Notes:               
a.     May 8 is the Gala – tickets $10? (Yes, you can wear a tiara)
b.    There will be a call soon for All Hill elections
                                         ii.    Next meeting is Friday, April 10, noon in MRB310
a.     Parking and Transportation: Each school has an allotment of motorcycle parking spaces and program approvers decide how those spaces are allotted within their schools. Apparently motor cycle parking spaces need to be obtained through these channels, and apparently there may be a discounted rate for students – right now the general rate is $60/month.
                                        iii.    Contact SOM for a permit
a.     The Pulse (Student Newsletter)
                                        iv.    Calling for articles this month, deadline is Friday April 24th
                                         v.    email David Edwards with ideas for articles

4.     Student center updates             
a.     Pool closed for maintenance Mar 30-Apr 6

5.     NGP-BHN merger         
a.     The GSO officers learned in a meeting with George Mejicano that the SOM is considering merging the Neuroscience Graduate Program and the Behavioral Neuroscience program to be one umbrella program. It is not clear what this will mean for students/ curriculum/ faculty/ training grants, but any and all student concerns, comments, or questions are needed in the next few weeks. Email George Mejicano directly or the GSO can submit your comments anonymously if you prefer, but be heard! The administration is asking for your input because this affects you!
                                          i.    The general consensus is that students are concerned, but lack knowledge of what is actually happening. Students want to be informed and want a meeting with George Mejicano or someone that can answer their questions.

6.     GSO travel award deadline extended until Monday, April 6.  

7.     Call for candidates for open GSO officer positions for next year
a.     Generally, how our election process works is: we put out the call this month, people announce themselves next month, and then we vote in June at our last meeting
b.    We have three current officers running for next year:
                                          i.    Kayly Lembke (Vice President, running for President)
                                         ii.    Lilli Klug (Secretary, running for Vice President)
c.     Open positions:
                                          i.    Secretary
                                         ii.    Treasurer
d.    Email the GSO with questions or bids for candidacy by May 13th
e.     Voting June 3rd

8.     Upcoming events         
a.     Coffee Break on April 16th at 2pm
b.    Bowling night Saturday, April 18
                                          i.    Pay $5 at the door instead of $8
1.     RSVP here: http://goo.gl/forms/LmLHvR0OsQ



9.     Next Meeting: May 13th *MOVED DUE TO RESEARCH WEEK* 

Thursday, March 05, 2015

Graduate Student Organization Meeting Minutes
March 4, 2015
12pm, BRB381
1.     All-Hill update
a.     Volunteer Awards Ceremony: March 12, 5:30-7:30pm, Student Center Gym

2.     Women in Science
a.     OMSI hosted happy hour in May, more info on the FB page and at upcoming meetings

3.     Research Week
a.     ABSTRACTS due March 17, www.ohsu.edu/researchweek
b.    Student subcommittee asks for feedback on afternoon programing for student day, options include:
                                          i.    Faculty panel talking about challenges they faced during their careers
1.     Need interesting faculty that do not fit the typical mold
                                         ii.    Jackie Wirz giving presentation about Career Development center and how to build your CV for alterative careers
1.     Seemed to be a preference for this option
c.     Vote: GSO-hosted student breakfast during research week        
                                          i.    Amount: $200, Monday, May 4th, 9am
                                         ii.    Students, keynote speakers, and core speakers invited, Coffee and light breakfast
                                        iii.    PASSED

4.     Student center updates
a.     Pool closed for maintenance Mar30-Apr7
b.    Intermural volleyball is being discontinued, but students are upset, GSO will contact student center to express interest in keeping it

5.     Career Development  Center upcoming events
a.     Academic CV and Cover Letter Seminar, Rachel Dresbeck and Julie Rogers | Thursday, March 5th.  Noon-1pm.  RJH 5501: Bring a lunch and learn the essentials for writing an effective academic CV and cover letter.
b.    LinkedIn Profiles that Work, Jackie Wirz | Tuesday, March 17th at 12:30 in Mac Hall 2201: Have a LinkedIn Profile but don’t know how to use it?  Attend this lunch box seminar and learn how to optimize your LinkedIn Profile to maximize your awesomeness!
c.     Peer-review CV and Resume Workshop | Wednesday, March 25th.  4-6pm.  OHSU Old Library: Bring your CV or resume for a peer-review, speed-dating style workshop guided by science and career experts!  Refreshments provided!

6.     GSO travel Awards deadline: End of March
a.     Email GSO

7.     The portal needs your help!
a.    What are the things you want to be able to do when you get on the portal?
                                          i.    Search for events
                                         ii.    Comprehensive calendar
                                        iii.    Filter to find kinds of events

8.     Upcoming events         
a.     Coffee Break on March 19th at 2pm
b.    Pub night at Suki’s on Tuesday March 10, 5-7pm
c.     Bowling night Saturday, April 18
                                          i.    Those that RSVP will be given a discount, look for email

9.     Arts and Lecture Seminar Series at Velo Cult Bike Club: looking for speakers to give seminars about science
a.     Benefits NWnoggin.com: science outreach to kids
b.    March 19, Monique Smith giving seminar


10.  Next Meeting: April 1st