MEDIA ROOM STUDENT CENTER OHSU
MEETING CALLED BY GSO
TYPE OF MEETING Monthly
FACILITATOR Derek Musashe, Pres
NOTE TAKER Cristina Butterfield
Rachel Clemens Grisham
HEATHER ENNIS DISCUSSION
Intramurals basketball almost full
Oct 18th show Seahawks 49ers game (beverages/beer served) “cold beverages”=beer btw CONCLUSIONS
Halloween party Oct 26th
Oct 30th Cup of Joe With Robertson lunch provided-talking about new building at waterfront
Oct 12 student council meeting
WILL GIARDINO DISCUSSION
Submit article of any topic before Nov 9th to the student newsletter
Poetry, opinion, research week winner feature, student speak blog posts
DEREK MUSASHE DISCUSSION
Many spots (about 6-7) open at council! Please contact Derek if interested. You get to vote on student stuff.
WOMEN IN SCIENCE ORGANIZATION
ALLISON ANACKER DISCUSSION
Personal career development, negotiating, retention in science, etc. Brown bag next week on the 12th. happy hour monthly for network.
On facebook. All male friendly. on ohsu student groups website.
FALL BBQ ASSESSMENT
CRISTINA AND GSO COUNCIL DISCUSSION
Beer line suggestions: 3 servers. hand out cans. go through marquam catering=csr catering. OLCC certified student?-no not allowed.
GRAD COUNCIL UPDATE
JAMES MCKANNA DISCUSSION
Wrapping up mostly…
Research week is May 20-24.
New position=Director of debt management for students-available to all students CONCLUSIONS
Student health is doing more „wellness‟ stuff like yoga classes…
IDEA FOR NEW CAREER DEVELOPMENT OFFICE AND OHSU
Alt careers. planning and development needed. NGP director wants to start center to address it for all programs.
Article in Nature about UCSF-office help decide what career to go into.
Higher ups talking about it (associate dean of education). Email Carolina if you have questions. She will see if we can do anything to get this going. CONCLUSIONS
DMICE has one person doing this work already.
JACKIE WIRZ DISCUSSION
Free interlibrary loans for students!!!
Technology survey on website! Instead of open house, they will host coffee breaks around campus.
Data presentation help available. Lots of design and graph/stat software! email them! CONCLUSIONS
Reminder of binding thesis. Solidifying all this info in one place.
No transcription services supported.
JACKIE AND ALLISON ANACKER DISCUSSION
May 20-24. Kelly Chacon is main student involved.
VPR office wants to run show. Students have option of pulling out of entire thing.
Their plan is to form an executive steering committee (includes Jenny, Mark Richardson, David Robinson, and one student) over the planning committee. Will not officially announce it. Truthfully Jackie thinks that this will push out student involvement. CONCLUSIONS
Jackie: Is being cut out Research week. Allison Fryer also left out of planning. Money left over from last year-tell Kelly what you want to do with it!
Allison thinks that losing some planning control is ok-see how it goes this year. STUDENT participation important!
Keynote speakers: anybody know these candidates that can help get a hold of them?
SURVEY FOR STUDENT INTERESTS
CRISTINA BUTTERFIELD DISCUSSION
- Would you like to have graduate student-centered career support offered?
- If so, which of these types of support would you want (have a list of stuff with a "select as many as apply")
- Would you be interested in opportunities to gain teaching experience?
- If so, how would you like that experience to be offered (e.g. for class credit, for pay, for free…)
- What type of OFF-campus "fun" event would you like to see hosted for grad students (list ofstuff; lectures, dinners, pub nights, bowling, board game night at lucky lab, etc)
- What type of ON-campus "fun" event would you like to see hosted for grad students (list of stuff; lectures, movies, sports, ping pong, game nights, so on)
- Need tutoring?
- Science outreach. getting credit for it?
- Would you be interested in attending the all-hill ski trip as long as some lodging was designated/reserved for grad students? If not, what would make you more interested in attending the all-hill ski trip? (list of stuff or a comment box).
- survey about leave policies for women, and affordable childcare options.
- anything else? email somgso or derek or Cristina
WEST CAMPUS BEAUTIFICATION
CRISTINA BUTTERFIELD DISCUSSION
Lots of weeds on former OGI campus. Students leading campus wide effort to spruce up the area on Thursday afternoon. Student, faculty, and staff welcome to volunteer and bring own tools.
Letting GSO know we are using some west campus event money for refreshments for volunteers.